The Year of the Sock…

…is over. I will make the mate to Diane’s birthday sock and then I’m DONE.

I know. “A quitter never wins, and a winner never quits.” I hear you, okay? But let me explain.

Pair #1: the pink/turquoise pair. They came out a bit funny; too big for my foot, but the stitches were stretched out too much. I don’t understand how that could be.
Pair #2: the Punk Sock pair. They’ve just been through their second laundering and will probably fit a 6-year-old.
Pair #3 (not shown): a very bad yarn, splitty and too fine to work with. I only did half the first sock before abandoning it, because it was such a nuisance. This in and of itself wouldn’t have made me give up on the year-long project, but combining it with the other problems, it just adds to the frustration.
Pair #4: the Zombie Sock. The first day that Alex wore them, they began to fray on the underside of the foot. After their second laundering they now have holes in them because of this.
Pair #5: the hot pink/turquoise pair. These are in their second laundering and they may work out; I will report back after this dryer load is done.
Pair #6: I did one sock and laundered it to see how it would turn out – because I used a different gauge and number of stitches for it. It too turned out like #1: the sock fits on my foot a little too loosely, and yet the stitches are all stretched out. I won’t be knitting a mate to that one.

So, out of the 4.75 completed pairs, I have a possible one pair of success. (If I’m lucky.) That’s two weeks’ worth of knitting, just for a few items to go in the donations bin. Not worth it; not worth continuing to experiment and continuing to fail.

Now…anybody want to buy some sock yarn?

Stuff You Learn By Accident

Back in 2011 when I started dyeing more seriously, I bought a jar of black acid dye. Overdyed a pink/green/white skein immediately and got a beautiful deep black.

Over the last few months, my “black” dye jobs have been increasingly erratic; in one case I tried to overdye a solid brown to black, and got a mottled brown/grey. In another case, I tried to deepen the tint of the yarn shown on left, and got the yarn on the right.


During this week I took a skein of pure white mink yarn and put it in a solid black dye bath. Even though the dye did not exhaust, this is what I got.

Grey, brown, rust.
Grey, brown, rust.

Now, the jar is 3 years old. So I emailed Jacquard to see what they’d say. Apparently if you make it into dye stock (in solution), it stays good indefinitely, but the powder in the jar can expire due to airborne contaminants!

Since I only dye once every couple of months, making up dye stock seems ridiculous. I’ll just start buying the 2-ounce jars from now on. BLEAH!